Sunday, July 1, 2012

I, ROBOT by Isaac Asimov ✰✰✰


Written by Isaac Asimov in 1950, I, Robot is a set of nine related, consecutive short stories told as a journalist’s third person writings based on the reminiscences of robopsychologist Dr. Susan Calvin, given in the year 2057.
Each of the stories has its own unique plot but follows the same premise-that the behavior of the robots must be governed by The Three Laws of Robotics.  It is impressed upon the reader from the very beginning that these laws are incorruptible and that it is these laws which keep humans in command and safe in a world (and universe) where humans and robots coexist.  As the stories progress, the logic involved becomes increasingly more complex and the solutions require far more ingenuity.
It was fascinating to see where Asimov envisioned technology evolving to and what he believed regarding space and physics.  At the end of the book you also get a glimpse of what he foresaw on the horizon for global governance and economics-interesting stuff!
The reason I did not give the book a higher rating is only because I felt that after a time the similar theme grew a bit tiresome for me, as I am not a huge fan of logical thinking, or for that matter of science fiction books (I read this one for the book club I lead for a group of home schooled high schoolers).  If I were a bigger fan of either of the two main elements, no doubt the book would have garnered another star. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to heavy spamming, all comments are moderated before posted. Sorry it’s come to this!